Due to the risk of relapsing or the addiction reoccurring after a certain trigger or other reasons, knowing how you can help will possibly prevent these self-destructive patterns.
If they have not told you but you have noticed they are struggling, look up the symptoms and signs of drug abuse so that can catch the behaviour early and get help ASAP.
To help your loved one get off to the best possible start after rehab, here are some things you can do as a family member:
- Forgive: One of the main things you can do is offer them solace and a place where they can freely express themselves without worry. Knowing that you forgive them for past behaviours whilst under the control of addiction, this allows them to forgive themselves. A huge part of recovery is letting go of any guilt and knowing that you are there for them despite their past actions will really help.
- Attend support group sessions together: Getting some help as a family unit can bring you closer together and provide someone with a safe outlet for issues of any recurring triggers.
- Understanding their triggers: Knowing what sets your loved ones’ addictions off can give you the chance to help them revaluate areas of their life to ensure they are not there or that once they arrive, a coping mechanism is in place.
- Attend counselling sessions with them: Sometimes having a hand to hold or someone by your side can help make the person feel more equipped to face things. If they are emotionally vulnerable, let them know you are always there for them no matter what the occasion.
- Be a good listener: After rehab it’s probably the person will have a lot to get off their chest. Once they have let go of all previous toxic relationships too, they will need you even more. Providing loving support, kind words and just your silence whilst you listen can be more than enough.
- Take things slowly: Don’t expect dramatic changes overnight. Instead, be patient with the person and the process and know that for recovery to produce fundamental changes, longer amounts of time are required.
Maybe you know someone who is in need of a successful clinic in South East Asia but is unsure of which direction to turn. If they are still searching then directing them to our trustworthy drug rehab in Thailand, Addiction Rehab Center can provide a place for someone to turn their life around. With quality aftercare and rehabilitation programs, the patient has high chances of making full recoveries upon finishing the treatment.
Now you know some ways you can help your loved one after they attend rehab, you become a haven for them to turn to. This really helps that individual through the longer term recovery process to prevent relapses and rebuild a stable, fulfilling lifestyle.
This article is published in partnership with Mediabuzzer.